"Waltham Forest Adult Learning Service
Course Information Sheet 2022-2023
Course Title: KS1 English - Keeping Up with the Children English
Who is the course for?
This course is to help parents understand the national curriculum for English being taught in schools at Key Stage 1. (4-7 years)
It will extend parents skills in supporting their children's acquisition and understanding of English Skills. At the end, you will be able to relate the key elements of the English Primary Framework KS1 to English used in everyday activities.
You will need to have good spoken language skills. You also need to be reasonably confident in reading and writing, as the course will focus more in these areas. This course is not suitable for adults who are beginners in English.
Do you gain any qualifications?
No – this course is not accredited but you will receive a completion certificate if you attend 80% of the course.
Do you need to be interviewed or assessed before enrolling on the course?
No, but the first session will be used to identify your current level of English, particularly writing and reading skills, and identify if this course is likely to support you to progress
You will learn to:-
• Improve your confidence in supporting your child with their reading, writing and spelling
• Further improve your own literacy skills
• Support your child with their reading, writing and spelling
• Create resources to help engage your children in learning
• Recognise learning in everyday activities
Essential equipment and resources
• Writing Pens x 2
• A4 writing paper
• Internet access of laptop or mobile phone.
• Coloured dividers
• A4 folder to keep all your work
You can progress onto our courses in the following areas:
-Careers for All, Health and Wellbeing, Families Program or Culture and Creative Program.